From TF2 Wiki
The Familiar Fez is a headwear item for the Spy which was released with the Polycount Pack as part of the Mann-Conomy Update. It appears as a team-colored Fez and a pair of sunglasses that sit atop the Spy's regular balaclava. The hat is part of an item set along with the Your Eternal Reward and L'etranger. When the set is worn, a special bonus becomes active: the sound of decloaking becomes a lot more silent, but the "blink time" effect lasts longer for 0.5 seconds. In this case, the user will hear the same sound for all the cloak sounds.
- This item was created for the Polycount Update by "ChemicalAlia" (Deviant art).
- "Fez" is, actually, the string hanging from the top of the "Tarbush", which is a tasseled hat that is either conical or cylindrical shaped.
- This item is a part of the Saharan Spy set as a part of the MANN-conomy update.
- The "familiar fez" is a reference to the 1999 film, "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me." In the movie, Austin and Felicity Shagwell are pursued by a man wearing sunglasses and a red fez. After the chase ends, he reveals himself to be a Spy named "Mustafa" who works for Dr. Evil. He asks Austin if he remembers him, to which Austin replies "I don't recall your name, but your...'fez' is familiar."
- ChemicalAlia also referenced "Morocco mole" from the 1966 Hanna-Barbera cartoon, "Secret Squirrel" when creating the hat for the update.
- The Fez is most commonly used in ritual gathering in countries like Turkey.
- The Fez is widely prejudiced as the Egyptian National hat.
- When combined with the Camera Beard, it nearly covers the entire face of the Spy.
- The Fez is the most wanted of all the Polycount hats.
- From some sort of bug, mostly in the Beta, in the Item Loadout for Spy, when he wears the Familiar Fez, sometimes his head is invisible.
- This hat also resembles that of the british Ska band Madness, Who wear both sunglasses and a fez during most gigs.
- Fez is the name of a character on "that 70's show".