From TF2 Wiki
Hats (or Headwear) are items equippable in the 'head' slot of the loadout screen. Valve introduced the first set of 9 hats with the Sniper vs. Spy update. Several major updates have since added additional sets, including hats designed by members of the Team Fortress 2 community.
Hats can be obtained at random through the item drop system, crafting system, Mann Co. Supply Crates, or bought from the Mann Co. Store. Some hats are available to players as a reward for completing in-game achievements, and some hats have been added as promotions for other Steam games and events in the Steam Store, including Left 4 Dead 2, Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, Alien Swarm, Worms Reloaded, Poker Night at the Inventory, Killing Floor, and The Great Steam Treasure Hunt. While it is possible to obtain these hats via trading with other players, there is no way to craft or buy these hats from the Mann Co. Store.
There are currently a total of 135 pieces of headgear, including 20 Miscellaneous items and the 12 promotional hats. 51 of the hats and 4 of the misc items can have a "vintage" status. 65 of the hats are paintable 22 different colors through the use of paint cans.
With the release of the Mann-Conomy Update, "unusual" versions of hats have a rare chance of being un-crated when the player opens a Mann Co. Supply Crate. These hats are the same as the original hats, except for an application of 1 of 14 particle effects. A more detailed description of these effects can be found here. Since the update that first added Mann Co. Supply Crates to the game, there have been several new series crates put in the game. (As of June 11th 2011) You can now get Mann Co. Supply Crates numbered all the way up to series 25.
A Brief History of Hats
- The first nine hats are introduced into the game, announced at the end of the update as a surprise bonus. The class models were not changed, so hats for the Scout, Soldier, Engineer, and Sniper attached to their default headgear.
- The next set of hats is patched into the game, including 18 new hats (with a noticeably higher polygon count than the first hat generation). These hats often required the user to remove their preexisting hat, altering the models and creating three "hatless" hats in the process. A fourth hatless model for the Soldier can be found in the game's files, but not a standalone hat.
- Valve takes a stance and implements a policy against the use of all external idling applications, and removes items and hats obtained through these methods. Players who did not use these applications were awarded with the first special all-class hat, the Cheater's Lament.
- The Halloween event update saw the release of two more special, all-class hats: the Ghastly Gibus, and the Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask. The Gibus was first announced on the Team Fortress 2 Blog and was offered to the first 10,319 users to access a hidden web page. The hat was subsequently made available to all, along with the Halloween mask by obtaining special Halloween achievements. The Gibus can still be worn by players today. However, the Halloween mask is limited to its event only and cannot be worn at any other time.
- Bill's Hat is added; another special, all-class hat, given to all players who pre-ordered the Valve game Left 4 Dead 2.
- Three new all-class hats are added: The Towering Pillar of Hats, the Noble Amassment of Hats, and the Modest Pile of Hat. Special versions of these hats are awarded to the three winners of the Propaganda fan art contest, with first-, second-, and third-placed ribbons attached.
- The first set of community hats from Valve's Contribute! site are added into the game.
- All players who buy Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse within the first week of its release are rewarded with a special hat all-class hat, Max's Severed Head.
- The second set of community hats from Valve's Contribute! site are patched in.
- Alien Swarm is released by Valve and with it a new piece of headgear wearable by all classes: the Alien Swarm Parasite. It is unlocked by completing the 'Hat Trick' achievement on Alien Swarm, making this the first item to be awarded for achievements in a game other than Team Fortress 2.
- The Hat Describing Contest is announced by Valve, to let the community name the descriptions of all released in-game hats.
- All players who buy or pre-order Worms: Reloaded before September 2nd, 2010 are rewarded with a special hat for the Soldier, the Lumbricus Lid.
- August 27, 2010
- The Hat Describing Contest finishes, adding the winning headgear descriptions to the game.
- The following hats are added: Milkman, Bombing Run, Grenadier's Softcap, Chieftain's Challenge, Stout Shako, Dr's Dapper Topper, Old Guadalajara, Napper's Respite, Handyman's Handle, Sober Stuntman, Carouser's Capotain, Pugilist's Protector, Hard Counter, Ol' Snaggletooth, Familiar Fez, Mann Co. Cap, Ellis' Cap and Wiki Cap. Paint Cans are also added, which allows you to change the color scheme of a hat. Unusual hats have a chance of being found by opening a Mann Co. Supply Crate. "Vintage" status is applied to all hats and weapons that were obtained pre-update, excluding event hats.
- All players who own a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 before 4 PM Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, October 7th are rewarded with the all-class hat Ellis' Cap. The Rimmed Raincatcher was also added.
- With the coming of the second Halloween update, 15 new hats are added: Horrific Headsplitter, Spine-Chilling Skull, Voodoo Juju, Cadaver's Cranium, Horseless Headless Horsemann's Head, 9 class-specific Halloween Masks and Saxton Hale Mask. In addition, Ghastly Gibuses obtained on the 2009 Halloween Update became Ghastlier Gibuses, updated to feature a more prominent headband and a silver pumpkin on the headband.
- The Dealer's Visor is added as a promotional item for anyone who pre-orders Poker Night at the Inventory. The deadline for this event is the release of Poker Night at the Inventory on November 22, 2010.
- Many hats have had their appearance while painted improved. Paintable hats look less like solid blobs of colour and retain more of the character and texture of the hat. In addition, the following hats or misc. items were made paintable after the update: Sergeant's Drill Hat, Pyro's Beanie, “Dangeresque, Too?”, Whiskered Gentleman, Safe'n'Sound, Trophy Belt, Frenchman's Beret, Camera Beard, Max's Severed Head, Alien Swarm Parasite, Ellis' Cap, and the Horrific Headsplitter.
- The Great Steam Treasure Hunt begins, with three hats being revealed as rewards for objective milestones: the Bounty Hat after completing 5 objectives, the Treasure Hat after completing 15 objectives, and the Hat of Undeniable Wealth And Respect after completing all 28.
- December 8, 2010
- Mr Foster's Gasmask and Tie are revealed to be obtainable to owners of both Killing Floor and Team Fortress 2.
- Mr. Foster's Gasmask and Tie separated into two items: The Stockbroker's Scarf and Foster's Facade. Those who purchased Killing Floor before December 14 received Vintage versions of the items.
- 'A Rather Festive Tree', 'Flipped Trilby', 'Buckaroos Hat', 'Blighted Beak', 'Prince Tavish's Crown', 'Exquisite Rack', 'Madame Dixie', 'Coupe D'isaster', 'Détective Noir', 'German Gonzila', 'Le Party Phantom', 'Larrikin Robin', 'Defiant Spartan', 'Scotch Bonnet', 'Berliner's Bucket Helm', 'Magnificent Mongolian', 'Big Chief', 'Pyromancer's Mask', 'Prancer's Pride', 'Industrial Festivizer', and the 'World Traveler's Hat' were added as a part of the Australian christmas event.
- Fixed painting issues in several of the Australian Christmas hats.
- Added the Hero's Hachimaki as a bonus for preorders of Homefront.
- 'Humanitarian's Hachimaki', 'Benefactor's Kanmuri', 'Magnanimous Monarch' were added as temporary Mann Co Store exclusive hats as a part of Japanese tsunami relief.
Hat release dates
- Main article: Item timeline
- On the Mac Update page, Valve referred to Team Fortress 2 as "America's #1 war-themed hat simulator", based on comments that the hats receive more attention than the gameplay itself.
- Hats were first seen in the Meet the Spy trailer, prior to the update.
- "A Release Date. Poker Night Has One", Telltale Games, November 16, 2010, retrieved December 5, 2010.
- "The Mac Update!", teamfortress.com, June 10, 2010.
- Interview: Valve's Robin Walker on Item Drops and the Future of Team Fortress 2 : Shacknews, April 29, 2009
- Sniper vs. Spy Update Bonus Day
- Classless Update - Official Hat Announcement.
- Classless Update - An Editorial Cartoon of Some Insighte
- Classless Update - Barbary
- TF2 Official Blog - Incoming!
- TF2 Official Blog - Nice goin', pardner