From TF2 Wiki
The Sandman is an unlockable replacement for the Scout's Bat and is unlocked after obtaining 16 of the Scout achievements. Unlike the standard Bat, right-clicking will launch a baseball towards the enemy. Successfully hitting the target with the baseball will stun the enemy. That is, forcing the player into their Humiliation stance, rendering them unable to attack (exception of taunt attacks), will move at 50% slower movement speed and cannot jump or crouch. The baseball will also damage them provided that they are a sufficient distance away and are not ÜberCharged. The farther the ball flies before hitting the enemy, the longer the victim will be stunned, ranging from 1 – 8 seconds. If they are hit with a baseball from extreme range, the victim will suffer a moonshot and will be completely immobile for the maximum stun duration. On the downside, Scouts carrying The Sandman have a -15 max health points disadvantage, leaving a maximum of only 110 health points rather than 125 (Previously, the disadvantage was inability to Double Jump). The Sandman is able to collect baseballs launched by opposing Scouts, you can also hit them back in mid air which requires good timing.
The Scout is equipped with only one baseball, which will reload after a 15-second interval. Baseballs can be picked up off the ground (whether your own ball, or another Scout's) or by visiting a Resupply Cabinet. Balls are not classed as ammunition and thus cannot retrieved by picking up dropped weapons or Ammo packs. A baseball that does not hit an enemy will remain on the ground and disappear after 15 seconds, effectively the time it takes the Scout to gain a new one. After stunning an enemy, it will disappear much quicker (after about three seconds), but can still be picked up and used again if grabbed quickly.
- Base: 35 (32 to 39 damage)
- Mini-Crit: 47
- Critical Hit: 105
- Baseball All Ranges: 15 (stuns for n seconds depending on how far the baseball travels)
- Baseball Mini-Crit: 20
- Baseball Critical Hit: 45
Damages are approximate and determined by community testing.
- Attack Interval: 0.5 (assumed the same as regular Bat)
- Baseball Hit Interval: 0.25
- Baseball 'Respawn': 15 seconds
- The stun ball travels around 1940 hammer units per second, approximately 83 miles per hour.
All times are in seconds. Times are approximate and determined by community testing.
After its release, the Sandman has undergone numerous changes following gameplay and balancing concerns from the community.
- Players who are stunned by a Scout now take 50% less damage
- Increased the minimum distance to stun a player with the Sandman
August 13, 2009 Patch (The Classless Update):
- A Scout will receive 1 point for stunning an enemy and 2 points for a long range stun
- Stunned players now take 75% of all incoming damage instead of 50%
- Übercharged players can no longer be stunned
- Heavies spinning their mini-guns will continue to spin when stunned (whether the left or right mouse button is pressed)
- The minimum distance to stun a target has been reduced
- The negative attribute has changed from "no double jump" to "-30 max health"
- The Sandman now only stuns on a max range hit (when you hear the cheering)
- All shorter hits now force the enemy into the thirdperson fleeing state (also removed the damage reduction on them)
- Penalty changed from -30 max health to -15 max health.
- Added a slight speed reduction to stunned players.
- Even though the Sandman is made out of wood, when dropped it still supplies Engineers with 100 points of metal, like the Tribalman's Shiv or the Huntsman.
- On one of the sides of the Sandman (seen all the time with the Sandman out in the view model), the bat itself has its name printed/written on it.
- The band on the end seems to be holding a cracked section of wood together, presumably from the Scout beating someone a little too enthusiastically on a previous occasion.
- In Major League Baseball, only wooden bats are considered regulation. Perhaps this is why the Scout only hits balls with the Sandman.
- The baseball used with the Sandman is an "All Ballers League"-style ball and manufactured by "Ball Fortress."
- Like most weapons, The Sandman can be found by Dropping.
- A pyro is also able to reflect the baseball, same with the Soldier's rockets, the Demoman's pipebombs, the Demoman's stickies, an enemy Pyro's flaregun flare, or a sniper's huntsman arrow.
- If a Heavy is stunned by the sandman while doing the GRU glitch, he will still run at full speed.
- This weapon has one of seven taunts that can kill an enemy in Team Fortress 2.
- When looking closely, the sandman still has a dent like the default bat.
- The Sandman now has its own kill icon