From TF2 Wiki
The Scattergun is the primary weapon for the Scout class. It is a double-barreled lever-action sawn-off shotgun with a wide cone of fire and high damage falloff, and fires 10 pellets per shot. While deadly at close range, the Scattergun becomes mediocre at medium range and near useless at a distance. Two shots at point blank is enough to down most classes. Other than a slightly increased damage and wider spread, the Scattergun is equal to the standard Shotgun in all regards. If fired from a position touching a target, the attack is capable of causing Knockback. Like the standard Shotgun and the Force-A-Nature, the Scattergun's first shell will fire at least one pellet straight down the crosshair before 'bullet-spread' takes effect.
- Base: 6 per pellet
- Max Ramp Up: 175% (10.5 damage per pellet)
- Max Fall Off: 50% (3 damage per pellet)
- Pellet Count: 10
- Point Blank: 85-105 (148 DPS)
- Medium Range: 10-40 (55 DPS)
- Long Range: 3-10 (10 DPS)
- Mini-Crit: 8 per pellet
- Critical Hit: 18 per pellet
Medium range is defined as the main resupply door to the opposite wall on the upper level of 2fort. Long range is defined as battlement to battlement on 2fort. Base damage is the damage done at 512 units before damage variance or bullet spread. Ramp up maxes out at 0 units. Fall off maxes out at 1024 units. Damages are approximate and determined by community testing.
- Attack Interval: 0.64
- Reload Base: 0.76
- Additional Reload: 0.56
Reload base is the time it takes to reload the first ammo. Additional reload is the time it takes to reload each ammo after the first. All times are in seconds. Times are approximate and determined by community testing.
- The Scattergun is never actually reloaded: when the 6 round magazine is empty, the handle lever is used to eject the rounds without loading fresh ones in. This is a simple design over-sight, however, since the ejection port is still visible on the right side of the weapon.
- Sound effects in the game files show some labeled "double shot". It is possible this may had or was going to have a double-barreled firing mode, or it would be like the super Shotgun from Team Fortress Classic. These sound effects were recycled for the Force-A-Nature.
- The Scattergun has Developer weapon variants.
- A server console command can be used to disable random bullet spread for the Scattergun, along with other pellet weapons like the Shotgun. When activated, any shots with these weapons will fire their 9 pellets in a perfect 3x3 square.
- The Scattergun seems to be a combination of the browning 1887 lever-action and a sawed-off double barrel shotgun.