From TF2 Wiki
The melee weapon of the Soldier class is a folding Shovel (also known as Entrenching Tool or Spade). Dealing significant damage, the shovel is a good alternative to the Shotgun when an opponent is too close to safely use the Rocket launcher. For its Critical hit animation, the Soldier swings it from the left in a backhand motion.
- Base: 65 (59 to 72 damage)
- Mini-Crit: 88
- Critical Hit: 195
Damages are approximate and determined by community testing.
- Attack Interval: 0.8
All times are in seconds. Times are approximate and determined by community testing.
- The Critical hit animation is the same manner of attack he uses to take out the Spy in Meet the Soldier.
- The shovel has a Normal weapon variant.
- In the World Wars, standard-issue knives and bayonets were sometimes substituted or even replaced by sharpened field shovels, which were used to great effect as improvised hand axes. Curiously, the Soldier's tool seems unmodified.
- The achievement "Trench Warfare" is a reference to their combat effectiveness in narrow quarters.
- The tool's real-life counterpart is the US M-1943 entrenching tool. Since the Soldier never reported to a quartermaster during his military career, its origin raises some questions.
- The Soldier claims that the shovel is a Mann Co. product, that he has owned it for twelve years, and that, ironically, it isn't very effective at digging holes.
- According to the Mac Update comic, the shovel is prone to spontaneous combustion.
English • русский